Although the kitchen is the center of your house, it may sometimes be quite dangerous. When you consider that a kitchen has scorching exposed surfaces, sharp knives, pots of boiling water, and pans of sizzling grease, it’s no surprise that thousands of Americans suffer significant injuries there every year.


Whether you’re a seasoned cook or Crystal Craft Kitchens, our kitchen safety advice will give you something to think about and possibly prevent you from becoming a statistic for kitchen injuries.


How to stay safe in the kitchen


Comprehend fire


Smothering a fire with a wet rag or pot cover works effectively because most fires require oxygen to grow. Grease fires need to be handled carefully. To extinguish grease fires, use salt, baking soda, or a pan cover. Use no water. Unplugging the microwave will put out microwave flames, and using baking soda (in the absence of a fire extinguisher) will put out oven fires.


Quickly tidy up


It’s simple to spill a few things when you’re cooking dinner and pestering teenagers or tugging toddlers are pleading for their nightly meal. In order to avoid an accident, it’s imperative that you clean up as soon as possible. Any amount of food or liquid can cause slipping hazards. Cooking sprays’ oil and grease pose particular dangers.


Be cautious with your attire and jewelry.


Although you might not have considered it, clothing and accessories might pose a risk when cooking. Long sleeves and long hair can catch fire, bracelets can get tangled in pot handles, and belt loops can pull pan handles off the stove top. Always flip pot and pan handles inside so kids can’t reach them while you’re cooking, and pay attention to what you’re wearing.


Check the smoke detector.


Most people are unaware that homes without smoke detectors have a doubled risk of having a fire, and where do most house fires begin? Certainly, in the kitchen. In actuality, there are over 173,000 fires involving kitchen equipment every year2. Early detection is crucial to surviving a house fire. Make sure your home has smoke detectors, which are frequently included with the best security systems. Test the detectors every three months.


You should be aware that the fire extinguisher is the most crucial kitchen appliance.


Accidents always come out of the blue. Nobody intends to have a kitchen fire, but should it happen, you’ll be grateful you have a fire extinguisher nearby. It’s crucial that you are familiar with how to use it and keep it somewhere easy to find.


Away from children and animals


Many kids enjoy helping their parents prepare meals, but they must learn to respect the kitchen if they want to keep themselves safe. Horseplay is never permitted, and young children should never be left unsupervised when the stove or oven are in use.


Remember that even after you’re finished cooking, your child is still at risk from the stove, oven, toaster oven, and other appliances because they don’t immediately cool off after being switched off.


Tripping hazards include toys that are lying around and pets that are lazing on the kitchen floor. The kitchen should be clearly marked as a “no toy” and “no pet” area.


Be aware that steam can be surprisingly harmful.


Of the almost 486,000 burn injuries treated at emergency rooms across the US each year, 35% are severe burns.


Steam is an unexpected scorching risk, as are boiling water, hot water on demand faucets, and even hot beverages. Although a steam burn is highly significant and frequently more severe than a burn from boiling water, steam is not typically considered to be dangerous.


Purify it!


Did you know that the kitchen is the space in your home where bacteria thrive the most?


4 As frequently as you can, clean your kitchen with a water/bleach solution to get rid of microorganisms. Use a pre-mixed spray sanitizer designed specifically for kitchens, or combine one gallon of water with one gallon of bleach. After each usage, wipe down cutting boards with the solution.


Dishrags and sponges are well known for harboring bacteria. Wet a sponge, then zap it in the microwave for two minutes to eliminate the bacteria on it. Before removing the sponge, give it time to cool. Dishrags should be replaced everyday and washed in hot water.


We sincerely hope you’ll keep our advice in mind as you work to make your kitchen a secure setting for creating only happy family memories.